No objection to indirect talks on nuclear deal’, Iran changes tone after Trump’s warning?

Online March 23, (BDR): Iran has changed its tune within 24 hours. Tehran has no objection to ‘indirect talks’ with the US on the nuclear deal, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said on Monday, ”The path to indirect talks is open.”
However, Abbas’s comment was that Tehran will not go to any direct talks ”until the other party’s (in this case, America’s) attitude towards the Islamic Republic changes. Incidentally, last week, US President Donald Trump set a two-month ‘ultimate deadline’ for Iran to agree to a new nuclear deal. He also warned that military action could be taken against Tehran if it does not take action within that period.
A letter to Iran’s supreme religious leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has been sent from the White House to convey this message. Regarding Trump’s letter, Abbas said on Sunday, ”There can be no talks with America on any issue unless the position on some issues changes.” But on Monday, his comment significantly softened, saying, ”Most of Trump’s letter is a threat. But it can also create some opportunities. Tehran will respond to the letter quickly.”
The US and Israel have already announced a meeting to put pressure on Iran over the nuclear deal. The meeting is aimed at discussing what military measures can be taken against Tehran if it does not comply with the agreement. In this atmosphere, it is believed that this comment by Abbas, who is close to Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, can somewhat ease tensions in West Asia. However, Abbas also made it clear on Monday that there will be no new nuclear disarmament agreement based on the 2015 draft.

N/M

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *